A lot of the problems we fixed this week are related to importing existing MODFLOW2000/2005 models. Vistas is really good at this if the files were created by another preprocessor. However, when you get models (typically from the USGS) that were created in text editors, GIS, special programs, or some combination, then there can be problems and we had a bunch of them lately.
- When the GMG solver first came out, there was a memory leak. We reported this to the USGS and they fixed it. But they fixed it in a different way than we did and so there were 2 pieces of code releasing the same block of memory. This did not hurt anything until you tried to make two model runs back-to-back.
- Obscure error when importing a MODFLOW2000 well package that has a non-parameter well and a parameter well in the same cell.
- Another obscure error where boundary condition parameters had different cases in parameter names between the definition of the parameter and the usage of the parameter
... by the way ... When I say "obscure", it means that you are very unlikely to run into it, but some unlucky user did run into it!
- MODFLOW2005 also has the new "highest active layer" option for ET. We had it set for MODFLOW2000 but not MODFLOW2005.
- We recently added the FHB Package to Vistas (not to be confused with the HFB Package). Importing an existing FHB Package input file worked with flux boundaries but there was an error for head boundaries
- When importing an existing Lak3 Package input file for a one-stress period model, the lake precipitation and evaporation values were not being saved properly.
- There was a problem creating the file pestgv.bat for PEST runs using MODFLOW-SURFACT when writing Kz to the BCF input file (instead of leakance) and when the option to maintain vertical anisotropy was also on.
- GV was not correctly recognizing well reach numbers for selecting the decision variables in MODFLOW2000-GWM.